Will OpenSolaris 2008.11 Attract Linux Users? - Page 2
Other updates in OpenSolaris 2008.11 include:
For sysadmins, two interesting additions:
- Project COMSTAR: the new storage server project. At this time, only Fibre Channel is supported, but iSCSI support is coming.
- Auto Install: a JumpStart-like installation system to automate OpenSolaris installs, but much simpler than JumpStart.
- GNOME 2.2.4: a very new version with an amazingly beautiful default theme.
- Print Manager: with automatic detection. Still not using CUPS, but this is planned for a future OpenSolaris release.
- Firefox 3: the latest Firefox Web browser, and Thunderbird mail client.
- Songbird: the iTunes clone for Linux is now available in the main repository.
- Tracker: the desktop indexing and search tool for GNOME now runs by default.
- OpenOffice 3: available in the repository, but is not installed by default.
- Suspend to RAM: works now for a very limited set of computers.
So take OpenSolaris seriously, and also try it out. The hardware issue isn’t a big deal for testers, as OpenSolaris runs perfectly in VMware and QEMU+KVM — just make sure you let it hang on to the mouse during bootup and when X starts.