Before Trouble Strikes - Page 3
Review On-site and Off-Site Backup and Recovery Procedures
The disaster recovery planning team should perform this task to provide for a current backup of critical program and data that can be used in the even of a disaster. To this end, the disaster recovery planning time can reduce downtime and speed recovery.
- Review current records (operating systems, code).
- Review current off-site storage facility or arrange for one.
- Review backup and off-site backup storage policy or create one.
- Present to functional business unit leader for approval.
Select Alternate Facility
The disaster recovery should perform the task of looking for a location, other than the normal facility, used to process data and or conduct business, in the event of a disaster.
- Determine resource requirements.
- Assess platform uniqueness of unit systems (Macintosh, IBM, Oracle, etc.).
- Identify alternative facilities.
- Review cost/benefit.
- Evaluate and make recommendation.
- Present to business unit leader for approval.
- Make selection.
In part 2, we will cover Plan Development, Testing, and Ongoing Maintenance for your disaster recover plan.