CrossNodes Checklist: You've Got the Power! - Page 3
What questions should you ask the vendor references?
- Did the vendor deliver the unit on time to you?
- Did the installation go smoothly?
- Are you satisfied with performance, service?
- What are the products strengths and or weaknesses?
- Did you have any problems with activating the unit? Results?
- Describe your experiences testing the devices? Results?
- Why did you select the vendor and the particular device? What other vendors' devices did you consist?
- What did your selection process entail?
- Did you get a good deal or were you sold a bill or goods?
What things should you double check?
- A UPS should supply the load with an ideal sine wave or stepped wave output. Square sine waves can damage loads or cause malfunctions.
- Determine the transfer time when switching to battery power. Although most UPS's have transfer times of two milliseconds or less, transfer time of even half a second can cause computer failure.
- If you're getting extended battery run time, make sure you're not over-buying in terms of kVA.
- Don't mistake TVSS surge suppression for power conditioning.
What steps should you take before you seal the deal?
- Involve the appropriate operations and facilities management personnel in equipment evaluation and selection.
- Create a features matrix accounting for all possible offering, for at-a-glance comparison of all models being considered.
- Once you have narrowed your choices, get a demonstration of each unit.