Symantec Announces Integrated Firewall/Antivirus/VPN Appliance
Symantec has announced the release of the Symantec Gateway Security Appliance, an integrated firewall, content filter, VPN, and intrusion detection device aimed at small and medium businesses as well as branch offices of larger organizations.
The device is administered from a GUI interface that permits control of local and remote appliances.
Symantec leveraged existing product technology to drive the device:
- The integrated firewall component is based on the Symantec Enterprise Firewall 7.0. This hybrid firewall provides full-inspection application proxy technology and automated system hardening.
- The antivirus component is driven by Symantec's NAVEX engine, and monitors SMTP, HTTP, and FTP transactions.
- The IPSec-compliant VPN component is based on Symantec Enterprise VPN 7.0, and allows administrators to monitor both application and network-level traffic.
- Automated updates of the product are provided via Symantec's LiveUpdate
- The integrated intrusion detection software detects apparent network attacks and automatically blacklists offenders.
- Symantec Gateway Security 5110 provides a max throughput of up to 40 Mbps and a 50-node license.
- Symantec Gateway Security 5200 provides a max throughput of up to 80 Mbps and a 250-node license.
- Symantec Gateway Security 5300 is expected to be available in early May and will provide a max throughput of up to 80 Mbps and an unlimited node license.
More information is available at the Symantec website.