Novell Portal Services 1.5 Released
Novell has announced the availability of Novell Portal Services 1.5, billed as Net services software that brings together information and tools that are personalized for each user. The software is purported to make it easy for users to customize portal interfaces to their preferred look and feel, find information, and set up online communities for sharing information and communicating with other community members across organizational boundaries. New management features help portal administrators further distribute portal administration responsibilities and provide more easily customizable portal content. With this release, Novell has also made possible the integration of multiple portals with key Novell Net services.
The Utah-based company maintains that, unlike many portal offerings, key personalization and security infrastructure is tightly integrated with the package, though it is flexible enough to integrate with other portal solutions.
Other features of Novell Portal Services include:
- Allows users to create online community Web sites without requiring IT intervention or Web development expertise. Communities help create groups that cross organizational boundaries and include file sharing, news posting, community calendars, links, discussion threads and chat.
- Provides AltaVista Search, which relates searching to a user's business context.
- Integrates with other portal solutions, such as Yahoo! Portal Builder, to deliver the benefits of Net services to end users. Novell Portal Services can also insert individual portal components into standard HTML pages.
- Makes it easy to distribute and secure portal administration responsibilities as well as leverages the power of Novell's eDirectory to customize a portal's content, look and feel based on users' common traits, such as department, security level or location.
- Runs on several platforms, including Solaris, Windows NT/2000, Linux and Novell NetWare.
Novell Portal Services 1.5 is now available in English, Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese for $59 per user or $49,000 per CPU. A free evaluation copy of Novell Portal Services 1.5 is available.