Study: Mobile VoIP Explosion on the Way
Recent research from InStat predicts there will be nearly 300 million active mobile VoIP users by end of 2013.
Arizona-based market research firm In-Stat sees the total number of mobile VoIP users reaching 288 million by the end of 2013 up slightly from earlier estimates.
Of these, more than half will be associated with online mobile VoIP providers such as Jajah and Truphone that utilize the cellular networks as "first-and-last mile." Slightly less than one-third will utilize 3G mobile virtual network operators and cellular data networks of mainstream mobile operators. Roughly 10 percent will turn to cutting edge WiMAX/LTE operators.
On a geographic basis, mobile VoIP will be heavily biased towards the Asia Pacific region, particularly among the online mobile VoIP services.
"The near-term opportunity for mobile VoIP is closely linked with the growing success of dual-mode phones and other Wi-Fi connected devices," says Frank Dickson, In-Stat analyst, who characterized Wi-Fi as the 'beachhead' for such applications.
"However, mobile VoIP still poses a direct threat to operator voice revenue and operators are navigating how to balance new opportunity with the threat," noting that they were only reluctantly beginning to address this mobile future.
In-Stat's report, Mobile VoIP Transforming the Future of Wireless Voice (#IN0904428MCM), found the following:
- In-Stat projects that by 2013 mobile VoIP applications will generate annual revenues of $35.2 billion.
- While the EMEA region has more mobile VoIP related revenue currently, Asia Pacific will be the largest regional market in revenue terms by 2013.
- Dual-mode (Wi-Fi + Cellular) handsets will be well over 400 million units shipped in 2013.
- Analysis of VoIP's impact on the mobile market.
- Forecasts for mobile VoIP associated revenue by region through 2013.
- Forecasts for mobile VoIP users and annual usage by region through 2013.
- Profiles of mobile VoIP startups.
- Profiles of VoIP providers.
- Profiles of WiMAX providers.