Symantec has announced the release of the Symantec Gateway Security
Appliance, an integrated firewall, content filter, VPN, and intrusion
detection device aimed at small and medium businesses as well as
branch offices of larger organizations.
The device is administered from a GUI interface that permits control
of local and remote appliances.
Symantec leveraged existing product technology to drive the device:
- The integrated firewall component is based on
the Symantec Enterprise Firewall 7.0. This hybrid firewall provides
full-inspection application proxy technology and automated system
- The antivirus component is driven by Symantec’s NAVEX engine,
and monitors SMTP, HTTP, and FTP transactions.
- The IPSec-compliant VPN component is based on Symantec
Enterprise VPN 7.0, and allows administrators to monitor both
application and network-level traffic.
- Automated updates of the product are provided via Symantec’s
- The integrated intrusion detection software detects apparent
network attacks and automatically blacklists offenders.
The Symantec Gateway Security appliance is offered in three different
Gateway Security 5110 provides a max throughput of up to 40 Mbps and a
- Symantec Gateway Security 5200 provides a max
throughput of up to 80 Mbps and a 250-node license.
- Symantec Gateway
Security 5300 is expected to be available in early May and will
provide a max throughput of up to 80 Mbps and an unlimited node
Customers will receive one year of telephone support, advanced
replacement and content updates bundled with the appliance.
More information is available at the Symantec