Virtualization is a process that serves as the substratum of cloud computing, as it allows the effective utilization of computer hardware. Virtualization software solutions create an abstraction layer over computer hardware resources that allow them to be split into virtual machines (VMs).
Each VM behaves like an independent computer system and runs its own operating system (OS). What’s fascinating is that a VM essentially runs on a fraction of the available computer hardware, thereby promoting efficiency of resource utilization.
It is clear to see that virtualization software helps you reap a greater return on enterprise hardware resources. What’s more, a virtualized environment reduces downtime and enhances resiliency. The use of VM clones for development/testing is of great help, as it does not impact a production environment.
Here is all you should know about Nutanix AHV and Citrix Hypervisor virtualization software.
Also read: Virtualization Software Comparison: Red Hat Virtualization vs. Proxmox VE
Nutanix AHV Overview
Nutanix AHV offers a secure, enterprise-grade and license-free virtualization solution that streamlines operations. The virtualization software solution offers powerful virtualization capabilities, including virtual network management, high availability, live migration, resource scheduling and core VM operations.
Nutanix AHV takes an integrated, cloud model approach to virtualization. The solution is ready for the most demanding enterprise workloads and helps simplify every step of the infrastructure lifecycle for enterprise information technology (IT) administrators, from buying and deploying, to managing, supporting and scaling.
Nutanix AHV Features
Here are the primary features of Nutanix AHV:
- Nutanix AHV provides support for most popular Linux distributions and Windows server and desktop OSs.
- You can conveniently manage virtualization, hyper-converged infrastructure, automation, security and virtual networking from Nutanix Prism.
- The solution comes with built-in configuration audit and remediation, network micro-segmentation and factory-applied best security practices.
- The virtualization software streamlines operations and delivers optimal application performance on Nutanix HCI.
- Nutanix AHV offers flexible migrations and rich analytics.
- Nutanix AHV’s key use cases include server virtualization, desktop and application virtualization, databases and Remote and Branch Offices (ROBO).
- Nutanix AHV is an enterprise-ready virtualization solution that is free of cost. There are no hidden costs, costly shelf-ware or software bloat.
Citrix Hypervisor Overview
Citrix Hypervisor simplifies enterprise virtualization management across environments, all while securing virtual infrastructure from advanced threats, boosting IT flexibility and ensuring a high definition user experience for robust workloads.
The virtualization software is optimized for Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops and is free for Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops customers. The cost-effective, open-source platform helps enhance, support and secure desktop, server and cloud virtualization infrastructures. Citrix Hypervisor ensures a smooth pathway for moving workloads to the cloud.
Citrix Hypervisor’s capabilities include desktop virtualization, server virtualization, cloud optimization, delivery of graphic-intensive workloads, robust security implementation, VM management centralization and Citrix provisioning optimization.
Citrix Hypervisor Features
Here are the principal features of Citrix Hypervisor:
- Citrix Hypervisor helps consolidate multiple VMs onto a physical server.
- The software runs directly on server hardware without the need for an underlying OS. This results in a scalable and efficient system.
- The virtualization software reduces the number of separate disk images to be managed.
- Citrix Hypervisor allows for easy integration with existing storage and network infrastructures.
- The solution helps you schedule zero downtime maintenance by migrating VMs (live) between Citrix Hypervisor hosts.
- Citrix Hypervisor assures high availability of VMs. Policies are configured to ensure that if one server fails, VMs will restart on another server.
- The virtualization software increases the portability of VM images, as a solitary VM image works on an array of deployment infrastructures.
- Contact Citrix to determine how much you will have to pay for the virtualization software solution. You can request a call or explore their online store to buy Citrix products and licenses. You can request a demo as well.
Nutanix AHV vs. Citrix Hypervisor
Here is how Nutanix AHV and Citrix Hypervisor fare when compared:
|Features||Nutanix AHV||Citrix Hypervisor|
|Likelihood to Recommend||✔|
|Likelihood to Renew||✔|
|Reliability and Availability||✔|
|Automation and Scalability||✔|
|Return on Investment (ROI)||✔|
It is clear to see that customers prefer Nutanix AHV over Citrix Hypervisor. Nutanix AHV offers a better set of features than Citrix Hypervisor and is more reliable, usable, and scalable. One of the key differentiators is that Nutanix AHV is free while you will have to pay for Citrix Hypervisor. Hence, Nutanix AHV offers a better ROI.
That said, customers who have used Citrix Hypervisor are more likely to renew than Nutanix AHV. Citrix Hypervisor is an excellent virtualization software solution in its own right and if you are a Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops customer, you should opt for the solution. Study both software carefully and opt for one which better meets your enterprise needs.
Read next: Best Server Virtualization Software of 2021