Network as a service (NaaS) is a cloud service model that enables users to subscribe to networking services, such as hardware, software, licenses, lifecycle services and management tools from a cloud vendor without owning, and constructing or maintaining their own infrastructure.
These flexible operating expense (OpEx) subscriptions enable organizations to consume network infrastructure without having to worry about capital expenses for physical networks or the planning, deployment, and expertise of installing and configuring infrastructure.
NaaS models provide network agility and help information technology (IT) teams track service-level agreements (SLAs) and service-level objectives (SLOs). In a nutshell, NaaS models provide a return on investment (ROI), enabling users to trade capital expense (CapEx) for OpEx and refocus time and energy on more pressing matters.
The benefits of NaaS models include:
- IT automation and simplicity
- Global coverage
- Enhanced security
- Complete network visibility and insights
- Flexibility and customization
- Improved application experience
In this guide, you will learn all you should know about the NaaS providers Cloudflare and Akamai.
Cloudflare’s Secure Access Service Edge (SASE), Cloudflare One, is a zero trust NaaS platform that delivers network resources to users in a secure manner. With a network of over 250 cities, Cloudflare One helps IT teams run their network at the edge of the internet.
The solution offers zero trust functionality, distributed denial of service (DDoS) mitigation, traffic acceleration, and network firewalling.
- Cloudflare One combines NaaS with zero trust security on a specially designed global network.
- The solution connects users to network resources in a simple and secure manner without the need for a virtual private network (VPN) and blocks phishing, malware, ransomware, and lateral movement.
- Cloudflare One offers simple deployment and management—every service runs in each of the 250+ cities associated with the Cloudflare network.
- Every data center offers single-pass traffic routing and inspection, giving all users the same level of protection, without losing speed due to the trombone effect or latency.
- The solution supports the cloud, endpoint, and identity providers you already use. Integrations include Azure, Okta, AD, CrowdStrike, and SentinelOne.
- Block known and unknown threats by enforcing network, hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP), domain name system (DNS), and browser isolation rules with unlimited secure sockets layer (SSL) inspection.
- Other services include firewall as a service (FWaaS), WAN as a service (Magic WAN), and several onramps.
Pricing: Reach out to the Cloudflare sales team for custom pricing, billed annually.
Akamai Content Delivery Network
Akamai’s Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a NaaS solution that focuses on content delivery to enable you to create exceptional digital experiences. The scale (4,200+ cities and 1,400+ networks) and agility of Akamai Intelligent Edge will help you deliver these experiences without any delays.
- Optimize application programming interface (API) availability and performance while enhancing user experiences.
- With CloudTest, stress test your applications and websites with vigorous, real-time load testing.
- DataStream enables you to obtain an inside look at CDN performance with continuous log data at scale.
- Intelligent load balancing enables you to avoid outages and optimize application performance.
- With Image & Video Manager, you can optimize visual media on the fly.
- Ion provides adaptive acceleration, intelligent routing, and script management.
- mPulse helps measure ROI, optimize website performance, and capture user experience data.
- Media delivery features include Cloud Wrapper, high-performance edge delivery, download delivery (large files for example), media analytics, live media services, and NetStorage.
Pricing: Contact the Akamai sales team for custom pricing (depending on the services you require).
Cloudflare vs. Akamai
We have summarized the key features of the NaaS providers in the form of a table:
|Ease of Use||✔|
|Ease of Setup||✔|
|Ease of Administration||✔|
|Ease of Doing Business With||✔|
|Evaluation and Contracting||✔|
|Planning and Transition||✔|
|Delivery and Execution||✔|
|Single Pane Management||✔|
|Service and Support||✔|
|Willingness to Recommend||✔|
|Overall Capability Score||✔|
Choosing NaaS Providers
Both NaaS providers offer an abundance of stellar features. While the table indicates that Cloudflare is the better of the two, Akamai is a remarkable solution. If you are looking for a versatile NaaS solution, Cloudflare One is the better option.
If you require a content delivery solution, Akamai Content Delivery Network will help you craft marvelous digital experiences. Mind you, Cloudflare offers a CDN as well—Cloudflare CDN.
Dive further into what Cloudflare and Akamai have to offer by visiting their respective websites, reviewing plans and pricing, analyzing customer reviews on leading peer insights platforms, and doing whatever else is necessary to make an informed purchase decision.