Zero trust is a modern security framework that permits enterprises to block all non-authenticated and non-authorized entities from accessing their information technology (IT) infrastructure. According to research by Statista, as of January 2022, one-third of enterprises are embracing a zero-trust approach to modern enterprise security.
Given today’s increasingly remote and hybrid workforce, adopting a zero-trust framework helps enterprises provide employees secure access to IT resources, regardless of their location. The cybersecurity model works on the principle that no employee should be permitted access to IT resources by default.
Therefore, companies that employ a zero-trust platform can establish trust based on several parameters, including authentication, authorization, and identification. Sturdy zero-trust platforms provide better defense against cyber threats, a more straightforward network landscape, and improved user experience (UX).
What is Okta?
Okta is an identity and access management (IAM) platform that provides two zero-trust security solutions: Workforce Identity and Customer Identity.
Workforce Identity provides identity access for your work ecosystem and helps protect and authorize your partners, employees, and contractors. Comparatively, Customer Identity provides secure and seamless access for your customers and helps create frictionless registration and login for your applications.
- Provides 7,000+ pre-designed integrations, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Slack, DocuSign, Box, HelloSign, Workday, Confluence, Zendesk, and Cerner.
- With the help of integrations, you can safely embrace cloud-based single sign-on (SSO) to cloud applications.
- Adaptive multi-factor authentication (MFA) allows you to protect applications and accounts from potential fraud and credential theft.
- With centralized access management, you can incorporate adaptive MFA and cloud-based SSO to on-premises applications.
- Secure and seamless customer experiences can be created with authentication as a service.
- Customer data can be accumulated and managed to design unique customer experiences.
- With lifecycle management capabilities, you can manage provisioning with automation.
- Identity processes can be automated at scale with Okta Workflows.
Pricing: You can try Workforce Identity and Customer Identity for free. For pricing information, contact the Okta sales team.
What is Duo?
Duo is a modern access security platform designed to secure your applications, devices, and users. The zero-trust platform is user-friendly and ideal for organizations of all sizes that require sensitive data protection.
- The risk of credential threat can be reduced by permitting users to securely access applications with SSO.
- With MFA, user trust can be verified at every access attempt and at regular intervals.
- Users can obtain a consolidated view of each device used to access applications and continually verify security posture and device health.
- Adaptive policies can be enforced, thereby limiting exposure of sensitive data to as few devices and users as possible.
- Necessary permissions can be provided for each user accessing any application from anywhere with Duo’s remote access capabilities.
- Duo provides comprehensive, 24/7 customer support via chat, telephone, and email.
Pricing: Duo is available in four packages: Duo Free, Duo MFA, Duo Access, and Duo Beyond. Duo Access is the most popular choice and is available for $6 per user per month. Those interested can take advantage of a 30-day free trial.
How to Choose a Zero-Trust Platform
Modern security requirements necessitate the employment of a zero-trust platform to ensure the right people have access to the right IT resources.
While both Okta and Duo have their own strengths and benefits, it is important that you thoroughly understand each solution and determine which one best meets the needs of your enterprise.
Read next: Top Zero Trust Networking Solutions for 2022